- Caballero, Gabriel. (2016). The role of natural resources in the historic urban landscape approach. Journal of Cultural Heritage Management and Sustainable Development, 6 (1). pp.2-13.
Keywords: Sustainable Urban Development; Small Island Developing States; Urban Forests; Climate Change; Urban Landscapes; Historic Urban Landscapes
- Chua, Jefferson. (2019). The Mixed Heritage Values of Mount Mayon Natural Park: A Case Study on Harnessing a People-Centered Approach to Nature-Culture Linkages Conservation in a Multi-Hazard Context. Journal of World Heritage Studies.
Keywords: Mayon Volcano; Nature-culture; Natural Park; Conservation
- Peterson, John. (2014). Landscape Evolution in Cebu, Central Philippines: The Impact of Sea Level, Social History, and Tectonism on Archaeological Landscapes. Asian Perspective.
Keywords: Cultural landscapes; Cebu studies; Central Philippines; Social history; sea level; tectonism; archaeological landscape
- Taylor, Ken. (2008). Landscape and Memory: cultural landscapes, intangible values and some thoughts on Asia. Scientific Symposium (ICOMOS General Assemblies).
Keywords: Landscape; cultural landscape; intangible heritage; World Heritage Convention; Operational Guidelines; World heritage cultural landscapes; authenticity; integrity; Asia
- Caballero, Gabriel. (2015). Recent Discussions on Cultural Landscapes in the Philippines. ICOMOS Philippines.
Keywords: Cultural Landscapes; Organically formed landscapes; safeguarding cultural landscapes; promoting heritage
Keywords: Cultural landscapes; Pacific Studies; Asia
Cultural Landscapes: Ifugao and its Rice Terraces
- Acabado, S.B. 2015. Antiquity, Archaeological Processes, and Highland Adaptation: The Ifugao Rice Terraces. Manila: Ateneo de Manila University Press.
Keywords: Agricultural intensification, landscape engineering, ifugao, philippines, archaeology, rice terraces, historical archaeology
- Acabado, S.B. and M. Martin. 2020. Decolonizing the Past, Empowering the Future: Community-led Heritage Conservation in Ifugao, Philippines. Journal of Community Archaeology and Heritage, 7(3):1-15, DOI: 10.1080/20518196.2020.1767383
Keywords: Ifugao, Philippines, heritage conservation, local museums, indigenous education, indigenous archaeology
- Acabado, S.B., J.M. Koller, C-h. Liu, A. Lauer, A. Farahani, G. Barretto-Tesoro, J.A. Martin, and J.A. Peterson. 2019. The Short History of the Ifugao Rice Terraces: A Local Response to the Spanish Conquest. Journal of Field Archaeology 44(3): 195–214.
Keywords: Agricultural terraces, Dating methodology, Ifugao, Philippines, Responses to colonialism, Energetics, Spatial modeling
- Acabado, S. 2018. Zones of Refuge: Resisting conquest in the northern Philippine highlands through environmental practice. Journal of Anthropological Archaeology 52:180-195.
Keywords: Resistance, Habitus, Agency, Environmental practice, Wet-rice, Spanish colonialism, Ifugao, Philippines
- M. Horrocks, S.B. Acabado, and J.A. Peterson. 2018. Plant Microfossil Results from Old Kiyyangan Village: Looking for the Introduction and Expansion of Wet-field Rice (Oryza sativa) Cultivation in the Ifugao Rice Terraces, Philippine Cordilleras. Asian Perspectives 58(1): 1-18.
Keywords: Philippines, Ifugao Rice Terraces, rice (Oryza sativa), pollen, phytoliths, starch
- Acabado, S.B., M. Sanders, J.A. Peterson, M. Martin, and A. Lauer. 2018. The Ifugao Archaeological Project, 2012-2017. Philippine Quarterly of Culture and Society 46(1-2): 1-14.
- Pagulayan, R.D. and S.B. Acabado. 2018. A Diachronic Investigation of Old Kiyyangan’s Cultural Deposits: A Comparison of Different Stratigraphic Layers. Philippine Quarterly of Culture and Society 46(1-2): 15-32.
- Meyer-Lorey, R. and S.B. Acabado. 2018. Economic Intensification in Old Kiyyangan: Global Interaction and Intra-Regional Trade Revealed through Trade Ceramics. Philippine Quarterly of Culture and Society 46(1-2): 33-48.
- Acabado, S.B., G. Barretto-Tesoro, and N. Amano. 2017. Agricultural intensification, status differentiation, and pottery production in precapitalist Kiyyangan, Ifugao, Philippines. Archaeological Research in Asia.
Keywords: Wet-rice, Status, Elites, Pottery, Ifugao
- Lapeña, Q. and S.B. Acabado. 2017. Resistance through rituals: The role of Philippine “native pig” (Susscrofa) in Ifugao feasting and socio-political organization. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 13: 583-294.
Keywords: Pigs, Morphometry, Resistance, Colonialism, Rituals, Ifugao, Philippines
- Acabado, S.B., M. Martin, and F. Datar. 2017. Ifugao Archaeology: Collaborative and Indigenous Archaeology in the Northern Philippines. Advances in Archaeological Practice 5(1): 1-11.
Keywords: Ifugao, archaeology, ethnic identities, community, indigenous
- Acabado, S.B. 2017. The Archaeology of Pericolonialism: Responses of the “Unconquered” to Spanish Conquest and Colonialism in Ifugao, Philippines. International Journal of Historical Archaeology, 21(1): 1-26.
Keywords: Pericolonial archaeology, highland Philippines, Ifugao, colonialism
- Acabado, S.B. and M. Martin. (2016). The Sacred and the Secular: Practical Applications of Water Rituals in the Ifugao Agricultural System. TRaNS: Trans-Regional and –National Studies of Southeast Asia 4(2), 307-327.
Keywords: Water, Ifugao, rice terraces, the Philippines, upland people
- Eusebio, M., J. Ceron, S.B. Acabado, and J. Krigbaum. 2015. Rice Pots or Not? Exploring Ancient Ifugao Foodways through Organic Residue Analysis and Palaeobotany. National Museum Journal of Cultural Heritage, 1(1): 11-20.
Keywords: Foodways (Anthropology), Archaeobotany, Stable Isotopes, Southeast Asian Archaeology, Biomolecular archaeology, Archaeological Chemistry, Stable Isotopes and Palaeodiet, Organic Residue Analysis
- Martin, M. and S.B. Acabado. 2015. Community Participation in the Ifugao Archaeological Project. National Museum Journal of Cultural Heritage, 1(1): 39-45.
Keywords: lfugao; community archaeology; grassroots NGO
- Lauer, A. and S.B. Acabado. 2015. Infant Death and Burial Practices in Late Prehistoric Kiyyangan Village, Kiangan, Ifugao. National Museum Journal of Cultural Heritage, 1(1): 31-38.
Keywords: lfugao; infant burial; mortuary practices
- Peterson, J.A. and S.B. Acabado. 2015. Did the Little Ice Age contribute to the emergence of rice terrace farming in Ifugao, Philippines? National Museum Journal of Cultural Heritage, 1(1): 1-10.
Keywords: Little Ice Age; climate change; terraces; lfugao
- Ledesma, C., N. Amano, and S.B. Acabado. 2015. Faunal remains from the Old Kiyyangan Village. National Museum Journal of Cultural Heritage, 1(1): 21-30.
Keywords: Ifugao, Rice Agriculture, archaeology, faunal studies, animal domestication, rice cultivation
- Acabado, S.B., M. Martin, and A. Lauer. 2014. Rethinking History, Conserving Heritage: Archaeology and Community Engagement in Ifugao, Philippines. The SAA Archaeological Record, Nov. 2014, 14(5): 12-17.
Keywords: Archaeology, Anthropology, Historical Archaeology, Public Archaeology, Colonialism, Heritage Conservation, Philippines, Philippine History, Ifugao
- Acabado, S.B. 2013. Defining Ifugao Social Organization: “House”, Field, and Self-Organizing Principles in the Northern Philippines. Asian Perspectives 52(2): 161-189.
Keywords: Agricultural systems, irrigation, ifugao, landscape, spatial pattern, ethnographic
- Acabado, S.B. 2012. The Ifugao Agricultural Landscapes: Complementary Systems and the Intensification Debate. Journal Of Southeast Asian Studies 43(3): 500-522.
Keywords: Agricultural systems, forms of production, cultivation, ifugao, intensive rice terracing, swidden farming, agroforestry
- Acabado, S.B. 2012. Taro Before Rice Terraces: Implications of Radiocarbon Determinations, Ethnohistoric Reconstructions, and Ethnography in Dating the Ifugao Terraces. In Irrigated Taro (Colocassia Esculenta) in the Indo-Pacific: Biological and Historical Perspectives, M. Spriggs, D. Addison, And P.J. Matthews (Eds).Senri Ethnological Studies. Vol (N.D.). National Museum of Ethnology: Osaka.
Keywords: Rice cultivation, ifugao, agricultural system, ethnohistoric reconstructions, ethnographic information, landscape analysis
- Acabado, S.B. 2010. Landscapes and the Archaeology of the Ifugao Agricultural Terraces: Establishing Antiquity and Social Organisation. Hukay: Journal for Archaeological Research in Asia and the Pacific, 15: 31-61.
Keywords: Archaeology, landscape, ifugao, philippines, irrigation management, social organisation, sustainability, agriculture
- Acabado, S.B. 2009. A Bayesian Approach to Dating Agricultural Terraces: A Case from the Philippines. Antiquity 83(2009): 801-814.
Keywords: Philippines, Ifugao, sixteenth century, Spanish, Rice, terraced fields
Chapters in journals or other periodicals
- Acabado, S.B. and M. Martin. 2015. Between pragmatism and cultural context: Continuity and change in Ifugao wet-rice agriculture. In Water and heritage: Material, conceptual and spiritual connections. W. Willems and H. van Schaik (eds), pp. 275-297. Leiden: Sidestone Press Academic.
Keywords: Archaeology, Southeast Asian Studies, Ethnography, Heritage Conservation, Philippines, Ifugao, UNESCO world heritage
- Acabado, S. and M. Martin. 2018. The Ifugao Agroecological System: Bridging Culture and Nature to Enhance Tropical Biodiversity. In Exploring Frameworks for Tropical Biodiversity: Integrating Natural and Cultural Diversity For Sustainability: A Global Perspective, N. Sanz (ed.), pp. 228-253. Mexico: UNESCO Mexico Office.
Keywords: Ifugao, biodiversity, rice terraces, agriculture, heritage, culture, landscape
- M. Martin, S.B. Acabado, and R. Macapagal. 2019. Hongan di Pa’ge: The Sacredness and Realism of Terraced Landscape in Ifugao Culture, Philippines. In Indigenous Perspectives on Living with Cultural Landscapes, J. Liljeblad and B. Verschuuren (eds.), pp. 167-179. London, Routledge.
Keywords: Ifugao, intangible heritage, rice terraces, Philippines, traditions
- Acabado, S.B. 2015. Preface: The Ifugao Archaeological Project. National Museum Journal of Cultural Heritage, 1(1): iii-v.
- Acabado, S.B., M. Martin, and A. Lauer. 2015. Reports from the Field: The Ifugao Archaeological Project. Backdirt: Annual Review of the Cotsen Institute of Archaeology, 2015: 54-61.
Keywords: Ifugao, spanish colonialism, national identity, philippines, rice field system, social differentiation, archaeology, settlement patterns
- Martin, Marlon; Acabado, Stephen. (2020). Older is not Necessarily Better: The Short History of the Ifugao Rice Terraces. SEAMEO SPAFA.
Keywords: Archeological event; Ifugao studies; Ifugao, Philippines